The Furies (Ἐρινύες in Ancient Greek, Erinyes) are goddesses of vengeance who serve the god Hades. They were his torturers in the Underworld, and punished the crimes of the wicked. Their number varies, but most commonly there were said to be three. Each one was sometimes represented as avenging a certain type of crime, such as murder, marital infidelity, or patricide.
Greek MythologyEditIn Greek mythology they are chthonic deities of vengeance created when Cronos castrated his father Ouranus and threw his genitalia into the sea, the Furies emerged from the drops of blood. There were three sisters: Alecto, Megaera and Tisiphone. Alecto was charged with punishing those who committed moral crimes as anger, especially when used against others, she was the goddess of Anger. Megaera was the goddess of Jealousy; she punished those who had committed crimes such as cheating and adultery. Tisiphone was the third sister and the goddess of Vengeance, punishing those who have committed the crimes of murder: patricide (killing leaders or your father), fratricide (killing your brother) and homicide.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Though they are not deities, the Furies possess many superhuman and supernatural powers, such as Megaera's ability to secrete parasites and her enhanced strength.
- Immortality - The Furies are older than the Earth itself.
- Superhuman Strength - The Furies can overpower and lift a full grown man high off the ground without any effort. They strike with considerable force, enough to smash through a stone floor.
- Superhuman Agility - The Furies have spider-like agility.
- Superhuman Durability - Their bodies are stronger than a human's. They have a high tolerance for physical pain. They are not invulnerable and can be killed.
- Shapeshifting - The Furies can use their magic to take on the form of another person.
- Healing Factor - Furies can heal quickly from injuries that would kill a mortal, such as their stomachs being sliced open. This power is limited as they cannot regrow a lost limb or heal from fatal wounds.
- Wall-Crawling - Megaera is shown to cling to walls like a spider.
- Flight - The Furies can defy gravity and fly through the air with great speed.