Dryads, like all nymphs, were supernaturally immortal and tied to their homes, but some were a step beyond most nymphs. These were the hamadryads who were an integral part of their trees, such that if the tree died, the hamadryad associated with it died as well. For these reasons, dryads and the Greek gods punished any mortals who harmed trees without first propitiating the tree-nymphs.
Physical Description Edit
Dryads are humanoid in shape and resemble women of unparalleled beauty. Their captivating features are more akin to an elf's or a faeries. Wood nymphs share their colouring with the woodlands they preside over.
- Plant Manipulation: As goddesses of forests, dryads hold strong power over plants, particularly trees and wood. Dryads can make plants grow within seconds and can change a seed into a towering oak.
- Wood Manipulation: Dryads can call on the energy within wood, even that of dead wood. They can make it float or fly or conjure a fire that will only burn the wood, make scratches, gouges and gaps in wood to heal. A dryad can make a birch twist and curl as if its trunk is made of clay.
- Plant Mimicry: Dryads can temporarily turn into trees and hide from predators or remain in this form long enough for enemies to give up and leave. If a dryad remains in this form for too long, she will forget who she is and become a tree.
- Plant Communication: Dryads are one of the few creatures who can bridge the void between plants and animals. They have a form of telepathy exclusive to wood nymphs and flora.
- Superhuman Strength: Dryads are as strong and as hard as the trees they protect.
- Immortality: Dryads can live forever in a state of eternal youth and as natural immortals, immune to the physical and mental hardships of immortality. Dryads are tied to their forests and if the dryad dies, the forest will wither and die, if the forest is destroyed, the dryad will perish and fade away. Hamadryads only live as long as their trees. When their tree dies, the hamadryad's life is passed through seed, making them virtually immortal.